Sunday, February 10, 2013

Proof

When I was still wrestling with my destiny as a prophet, certain situations compelled me to leave home and strike out into the wilds of The Crazy an Inane States of America. After several pretty tame adventures I started to hear of a place where wizards, anarchists, hippies, and freaks would gather in staggering numbers to live and share and grow together. These Rainbow Gatherings, I had heard, had been happening for almost 40 years in forests all over the world. I knew that should go and check it out, and to be honest I really couldn't get my mind off of it.

Through the interwebs I met an old woman named Momma Copper who needed a ride to the National Rainbow Gathering in New Mexico (this was the summer of 2009). I dropped down from Missouri to Georgia and picked her up. It turns out that Momma Copper is the coolest old witch that I have yet to meet. She told me that magic was real. She said, "All you have to do, you know, is ask the universe something, anything, and it'll give it to you. You just have to know how to ask." I didn't believe her, I mean, I'm a born skeptic, and at the time I was a pretty sincere atheist. I told her as much. "Okay," she said, "what do want?"

"Anything?" I said.

"Anything."

I thought for a moment and burst out laughing. Of course I knew what I wanted. "What I always want? What does anybody want? A bag of weed!"

The old crone just cackled for a minute. Finally she said, "Done."

We were diving through the top little part of Texas toward Amarillo at the time and were running low on gas. Just outside Amarillo we pull in to a little Texico, I open my car door and there sitting next to me on the concrete is about a half ounce of weed in a little baggy. I showed the bag to Momma Copper and she just cackled her cackle and proceeded to roll joints until the bag was empty.

She sparked up the first joint, took a wicked long puff, blew it out, coughed, regained her composure and said, "Proof."

No comments:

Post a Comment